Mont Boord started M Boord Furniture & Undertaking July 2, 1879 in Covington. He was located on the east side of the square on the north side of the alley and later moved to 316 Liberty on the south side of the square. The furniture store “L H Ellis & Company” was located farther east at 322 Liberty Street.
Mr. Boord employed Frank Y. Shelby in 1924 to work with him. Frank graduated from Askin College of Embalming in 1926 and Mr. Boord sold him a half interest in the firm while they were located at 316 Liberty Street.
Mr. Boord died on March 24, 1936. Frank Shelby purchased Mr. Boord's interest in the funeral business and the furniture store from Mr. Boord's heirs. Previously, Frank had purchased the Julius Loeb home at 622 Third Street. The name was changed to Shelby Funeral Home and moved to the 622 Third Street location in September 1936.
The furniture store remained at 322 Liberty Street and the name was changed to Shelby Furniture. Frank tried to join the Army during World War II, but they wouldn't take him because he was over 40 and had six children at home. In 1944, he joined the Red Cross as a Field Representative and then went to Italy for a year. His wife Helen VanDorn Shelby was given a funeral director's license to operate the business during his absence. Their teenage son, Robert, assisted her with the funeral home.
Wisher Myers of Veedersburg did the embalming and conducted funerals during this time. After the war, Robert Bodine returned as an employee. In 1947 Frank sold him a half interest in the funeral home, and the name was changed to "Bodine & Shelby Funeral Home".
Robert Shelby graduated from high school in 1947 and was employed full-time at the funeral home. Frank Shelby and his family moved to the country, and Bodine's family moved into the funeral home. A showroom was added to the funeral home at this time. In June 1949 Robert Shelby graduated from Indiana College of Mortuary Science. He purchased his father's remaining interest in the funeral home on January 1, 1950.
Robert received his license in February 1950. In 1963, the south chapel was added on the south of the building. Some of the walls were removed and the stairway was turned to open up the north area. An office was added on the north. Robert Bodine & Robert Shelby operated the funeral home until Bodine's death on August 25, 1969.
Bondine's son, David Bodine, started working in 1968 and took over his father's interest after his death. Robert Shelby and David Bodine operated the funeral home from 1969 until Robert purchased David's interest in 1987. The name was then changed to "Shelby Funeral Home".
Douglas Shelby received his license in 1986 and joined the staff. Robert and Douglas have operated the Shelby Funeral Home until October 2023 when the Shelby family entrusted the heritage to David Keller, a 35 year seasonaed funeral director with the ability to maintain traditional and locally owned funeral values..